Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Who Needs A Job?

For one homeless Australian man who considers begging for money a full-time job, the long hours on the street have landed him a middle-class salary, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Ken Johnson, 52, spends up to 16 hours a day, seven days a week, sitting at a Sydney intersection that can net him $400 a day from generous pedestrians, and has brought him a steady income since the late 90s.

Even on slow days the drifter pockets $75 to $100.

"I'd be really disappointed if I did a long Friday and I only had $250,'' Johnson told The Telegraph. "I knock off when I feel like it, or if I've done brilliantly. But on those good days, you might be on such a high that you go for a few more hours and get a bit more money.''

Johnson says his earnings go towards helping a friend in need of a liver transplant, or directly into his bank account.

The hours are long and monotonous but Johnson's time on the street sitting with his sign has earned him up to $50,000 a year.

Johnson's sign reads, "Needing support for major family exp(enses) including just heaps for medicine. Paying up is a big grind. Please leave me alone, if you are the abusive nasty sort."

As to why he is still homeless, Johnson says it is a choice.

No comments: