Friday, July 20, 2007

Larvae

Doctors thought the strange, bleeding bumps on Aaron Dallas' head might be from gnat bites or shingles. Then the bumps started moving. A doctor found five active bot fly larvae living beneath the skin atop Dallas' head.

"I could hear them. I'd put my hand back there and feel them moving. I thought it was blood coursing through my head," Dallas told the Post Independent.

Dallas said he likely received the larval infestation while on a trip to Belize this summer. The larvae, which are about one-third the size of a penny, living in a pit 2- to 3- millimeters wide, were removed Thursday.

"When I saw him again, it was pretty obvious something else was going on," said Dr. Kimball Spence, who could see the spots moving on Dallas' head. "There's an open pit. You see a little activity, not necessarily the larvae, but a fluctuation of the fluid in the pit."

"It was weird and traumatic," said Dallas, of Carbondale. "I would get this pain that would drop me to my knees."

No comments: