Monday, September 22, 2008

Double Dutch

Erica Rix was riding in the back of her mother’s SUV and dangling her jump rope out of the window with the rope's slip knot around her wrist. The other end of the rope became tangled in the car’s axle, and as the rope tightened around Erica’s left hand, it eventually sliced the hand off.

"She was screaming and screaming, so I got out of the car and out the window that was cracked, (was) the remaining part of her hand," Erica’s mother, Allison Rix told the TV station. "I screamed and said, 'Where's her hand?'"

A nearby woman found the hand with the rope still attached.

A driver stopped and used his belt to create a tourniquet around the young girl’s arm before she was rushed to the hospital. Four surgeons spent 10 hours reattaching the hand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First Erica was not dangling the rope, she innocently rolled her window down 1 inch and rope dropped within a second because I was going so slow. The rope acted as a noose because some else tied a slip knot. In one split second my life and my families lives changed forever. Bloggers destroyed my soul, so just a suggestion...don't do or say things on your blog that will hurt others. You never know what will happen to you. Instead of receiving entertainment from my family tragedy, I hope u will have some compassion.