Thursday, May 29, 2008

Good Burn!

He just can't help the grunting. Nor can he help shouting "Woo-woo!" or "Great song!" or "Good burn," or — inexplicably, "You go, girl!"

That's what a spin-class workout is all about, hedge-fund manager Stuart Sugarman testified yesterday, taking the stand as the victim in the bizarre case of a New York City gym assault.

"These are words that would get me charged up and really come out automatically," Sugarman, 48, told a jury, "I try to get into the zone."

Manhattan prosecutors say that because of his annoying hooting and bellowing, Sugarman was brutally tipped up and off his exercise bike last summer by an irate stockbroker.

Both sides agree that Sugarman was loud - even Mark Selden (instructor) testified that Sugarman is the loudest "spinner" he's ever heard in some 1,700 workouts.

His antagonist, Christopher Carter, had been sitting two bikes down at an Equinox gym at 85th Street and Third Avenue and was ticked off by the distractions.

"He got off his bike and charged me like a football player would charge a training sled, and proceeded to lift my bike and I. The bike is about 150 pounds and I'm more than 200 pounds. He lifted the whole thing up and threw it and lifted it against the wall."

"He was looking up at me," Sugarman remembered. "And he held me up over his head. He looked at me and very loudly said, 'F' you. And then he dropped me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...NYC life.