Sunday, May 11, 2008

Doing What He Can

A lot of people see Terry Ronzio every morning along Route 19, and many probably think of him as the "Flag Guy".

"I am a spark for patriotism," said Mr. Ronzio, 44, who happily proclaims a love for all things Americana, including the Fourth of July and fireworks.

His passion goes beyond mere flag-waving. Mr. Ronzio decided two years ago to show his support of U.S. troops abroad by walking one mile for every American military fatality in Iraq. He said he is coming up on 2,500 miles but has a long road to go; the current Department of Defense figures show 4,066 confirmed dead.

One day, he said, "I got so mad, I picked up the flag and started walking. I walked 15 miles that day." His usual attire is fatigue pants, T-shirt or jacket, a backpack and, of course, he carries the flag aloft on a wooden pole.

It is Mr. Ronzio's custom that after each 500 miles, he retires his flag and presents it to a soldier or current unit. The first went to the Waynesburg National Guard. "I've met veterans from every war. ... It just touches my heart when they pull over and share their stories."

No comments: