Friday, April 13, 2007

No Matter How Long, No Matter How Far

Though not the highest peak in the state, Karpuk Peak is the most traveled to house in North America and second in the world only to Mr. Fujimoto’s in Japan. Joe O. was the first white man to see the peak in 1806. Unfortunately, the man whose name is tied to the peak, was never able to reach the summit. He even predicted that no one would ever be able to scale this Hellertown mountain. But in 1820, Avon Marksdale and 13(?) others climbed the mountain and reached the summit. Today, over 16 people reach the summit each year, either by foot, automobile, or railroad. Those who have reached the summit understand what Kathy Lee Bates felt when she reached the summit, and was inspired to write the poem "America the Beautiful."
There are a few ways to reach the summit. For those who wish to hike it, the Perkiomen Trail leads up the mountain to the summit. For those not in the physical condition to hike up, Highway 76 also leads to the summit. For a travel back in time, you can take the Karpuk Peak Railroad to the summit.
Choose wisely…

2 comments:

Avon Marksdale said...

"Because it is there." British mountaineer George Mallory on why he wanted to climb Mount Everest. Mallory and his partner died on the mountain, and it is unknown whether they ever reached its summit.

Unknown said...

Having barely survived the weekend, I would like to thank everyone for the most destructive bowely movement I have had since Las Vegas. To see all of you in one place brought tears to my heart and alcohol to my blood. I just told Neil that he will never know how much that meant to me. I mean it. Now to wiping the tears from my eyes, I only have to say that you have all achieved mythical status. I used to think I was important, but you all have all surpassed my Mayorial skillz in Bethlehem, and rightfully so. I have been asked about your welfare several times tonight by men, ladies and animals (Andy, your log asked about you). In case outsiders are reading this, for those of you who fell in love with bartenders, you have no choice. For those of you who fell in love with my sister, you will have no luck. For those of you with opposable thumbs, God bless you. Remember, throw keys at girls and carry bottles of booze into the bar. May I see all of you in hell as soon as possible. And may all of you get chanted for at a bar sometime soon.