Monday, December 21, 2009

Flight Fights

The Obama administration took aim Monday at tarmac horror stories, ordering airlines to let passengers stuck in stranded airplanes get off the plane after three hours.

With its new regulations, the Transportation Department sent an unequivocal message on the eve of the busy holiday travel season: Don't hold travelers hostage to delayed flights.

"Airline passengers have rights, and these new rules will require airlines to live up to their obligation to treat their customers fairly," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement.

Under the new regulations, airlines would be fined $27,500 per passenger for each violation of the three-hour limit, LaHood said.

The Air Transport Association, a trade group that represents U.S. airlines, said in a statement that carriers would comply with the new rule even though the group contends it will lead to canceled flights and greater passenger inconvenience.

Under the new regulations, airlines operating domestic flights will be able only to keep passengers on board for three hours before they must be allowed to disembark a delayed flight. The regulation provides exceptions only for safety or security or if air traffic control advises the pilot in command that returning to the terminal would disrupt airport operations.

Airlines will be required to provide food and water for passengers within two hours of a plane being delayed on a tarmac, and to maintain operable lavatories. They must also provide passengers with medical attention when necessary.

From January to June this year, 613 planes were delayed on tarmacs for more than three hours, their passengers kept on board.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy im new here. I hit upon this forum I find It truly accommodating & it has helped me out tons. I should be able to contribute & support other users like it has helped me.

Cheers, Catch You Later.

Anonymous said...

Howdy i'm new here. I stumbled upon this chat board I find It very useful and it has helped me a lot. I hope to give something back & help other users like its helped me.

Cheers all, See Ya About.

Anonymous said...

Greetings im new here, I came accross this chat board I have found It absolutely helpful & its helped me a great deal. I hope to give something back & assist others like it has helped me.

Cheers all, Catch You Around.

Anonymous said...

Greetings i'm new on here. I stumbled upon this forum I have found It absolutely useful and it's helped me loads. I should be able to contribute and assist other people like it has helped me.

Cheers all, See Ya Around.